CALL FOR APPLICATIONS - YOUTH SUMMER PROGRAM - York University
( Application deadline: June 12/2015, 5:00pm)
The Harriet Tubman Student Summer Programme 2015
Exciting news for youth this summer...
The Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and its Diasporas at York University invites youth ages 14-18 (or grade 9 to grade 12) to participate in its 6th Student Summer Programme.
• African, Caribbean and Afro-Latin@American histories.
• The trade in enslaved Africans and their resistance (historical and contemporary representations)
• Legacies of the histories of migration, citizenship, race, education and gender relating to persons of African descent.
• Current themes in politics, business, and economies in Africa and the African Diaspora.
• Popular Culture and Identities: Music, Dance and Sports.
• Museums, archives and the preservation of memory, including folkloric traditions in communities in Africa and the African Diaspora, and specifically in African Canadian contexts.
• Introduction to technology to digitize historical records: working sessions with photographs and documents featuring communities in Africa and the African Diaspora.
Youth will participate in daily activities (art, dance, creative writing, sport, storytelling, graffiti, music, workshops, trips and classes) that will give them an overview of the contributions of African peoples and cultures to the historical development of the world. Experienced educators, facilitators, volunteers and students from York University will deliver all the sessions.
The programme will run from July 6-17th at York University and there are about 30 spaces available. Meals (breakfast and lunch) as well as transportation (bus tickets) will be provided. The 6th annual student summer programme will be held at the Archives of Ontario, Keele Campus (York University). It runs approximately from 9.00am - 3.30pm each day.
The youth will have the opportunity to accumulate community hours and an official certificate from the Harriet Tubman Institute at York University will be awarded to students on completion of the programme.
Application deadline: June 12/2015, 5:00pm
PLEASE EMAIL US. WE WILL SEND YOU THE APPLICATION FORM.
Prof. Abubacar Fofana Leon
Director, The Harriet Tubman Student and Teacher Programs at York U